"The uniqueness, offered by Cuba’s picturesque streets, and the remains of times past soon to be gone forever – a must go for every photo enthusiast."
Cuba – a country where you can travel back in time and observe the social changes happening in the last few years. From the old cobbled streets of Havana, where American cars from the 1950s are just one of the attractions, to the sugar cane mills and cigar factories – Cuba is as colourful and rich in contrasts as it gets. Locals do not mind being photographed on the streets, during samba dancing or afternoon siestas. Colonial style old villas stand next to monuments of the Cuban revolution, youngsters are playing alongside the elderly, who enjoy their evening rum.
- Learn how to approach the unique challenges of travel and street photography. How to capture images of people in their natural environment and how to approach locations and subjects
- The old Havana, with its monumental buildings, cobbled streets, famous waterfront and old cars.
- The old city of Trinidad, with its impressive church, main square and narrow alleys
- The city of Santa Clara, full of monumentalism and communist style imagery
- Sugar Mills Valley – admire the sugar cane plantations and colonial villas
- Cigar factory – see, feel and smell, how and where the best cigars in the world are hand-rolled
- Boxing schools of Havana – feel the passion for this sport, which is one of the most popular ones in Cuba
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- Instruction and training in the best photography techniques, including personal hints and advice.
- Composition and focus on lines, golden section, perspective, foreground, background and middle ground.
- How to work in different lighting conditions.
- Portrait photography techniques: depth of field, composition, selecting the best possible available light
- Night street photography
- How to handle equipment with care on location.
- Private hands-on lessons that will help you take your photography skills to the next level.
- How to approach local people in a natural way.
- The secrets behind travel and street photography.
- Expert review and constructive critique/feedback of the images taken during the day.
- On request, Lightroom and Photoshop course
- Effective conversion to black and white using NIK Software
- Visual storytelling: Learn from the National Geographic Photo Editor-in-Chief how to bring your photos to life
- A Better Moments Certified Photo Instructor is available during the entire workshop to help with camera settings, the basics of composition and to help in general.
DAY 1: ARRIVAL
Upon arrival to Havana you will be picked up at the airport and taken to our hotel.
After dinner Arne Hodalič will introduce the workshop, and present his magnificent and inspiring work from Cuba.
Participants (those who want to) submit seven of their photos for review by Arne.
DAYS 2-3: HISTORICAL TREASURES OF HAVANA
We will start the day with an orientation walk through old Havana – from San Francisco de Asisi square to Plaza de Armes, followed by a visit to modern day Havana.
Street photography will be the focus of our stay here, as the motifs are abundant: locals going about their everyday business, historical buildings with their amazing staircases and balconies…
We will visit one of the famous boxing schools and cigar factories in Havana.
Evenings will be dedicated to blue light photography, followed by classroom workshops.
DAY 4: HAVANA – CIENFUEGOS – TRINIDAD
In the morning, we drive to Cienfuegos and stop there for the main attractions: Jose Marti park, Terry theatre.
After lunch, we continue our drive along the seaside towards Trinidad.
DAYS 5-6: TRINIDAD
We are spending two days in this colourful old town, bustling with American cars and local houses facing the streets, offering us a view inside through the famous grilled windows. Climb atop a city tower for a unique perspective.
In the afternoon of day 6, we are driving to Sugar Mills Valley, photographing the sugar cane plantations and refineries. Colonial houses that used to belong to rich plantation owners are a must see as well.
DAY 7: TRINIDAD – SANTA CLARA
After breakfast, we will take the bus to the town of Santa Clara, where the past communist era is more present than anywhere else. We spend the night here.
DAY 8: SANTA CLARA – HAVANA
After the morning street photography tour, we hop on the bus again and drive back to Havana’s capital city.
DAY 9: HAVANA
Participants have all day to themselves, wandering around Havana and capturing those moments that they might have missed at the beginning of our tour.
Evening dinner will be accompanied by the selection of the best photos from the trip, submitted by the participants.
DAY 10: DEPARTURE
Transfer to the airport will be provided.
FACES OF CUBA
March 19-28, 2018
TRAVEL WITH THE BEST
Arne Hodalič is the photo editor of National Geographic Magazine Slovenia. Originally studying biology in Ljubljana, his first trip to India in 1989 changed his professional career when his photos were published in a prestigious Swiss magazine, Animan. Since then he has travelled the world on photo-assignments. He is also a passionate adventurer and cave diver, participating in numerous sailing, mountaineering and caving expeditions. In 2008 he received an honorary doctorate at the University of Ljubljana, becoming a lecturer in photography and photojournalism. His photos and photo stories have appeared in books, exhibitions and many of the world’s most prestigious magazines, among others National Geographic Magazine, Life (USA), Time, Figaro Magazine, GEO, Paris Match, Marie Claire, Die Zeit, Cosmopolitan and Stern.
Number of guests: 8-16
Local transport: Bus
Exertion level: Easy
Meals: All meals included
Type of photography: Street, landscape, portrait
Weather in December: Average 28 °C.
Guiding in: English, German and French
€3.595 per person in a shared double room
€3.995 per person in single room
Hotel accommodation with private bath and toilet
All meals and non-alcoholic beverages
Coaching, teaching, workshops and seminars
Transport to/from Havana