CAROLINE FRASER, UNITED KINGDOM
”Thank you' very much for the Abisko workshop. It was a wonderful few days for me. I can't get all that yellow out of my head.”
Majestic, picturesque and serene are all words that describe the mountains, valleys, plains, forests, rivers, flora and fauna of Abisko National Park in Swedish Lapland. The 77 km2 paradise is located 195 km inside the Arctic Circle. It is famous for its stunning beauty, Nordic wildlife and one of the best spots in the world for photographing Aurora Borealis (Northern Lights). To get a true sense of this unique and incomparable location you have to visit Abisko and inhale a breath of fresh mountain air and view the scenery.
- Photography at the limestone formations and river rapids in upper of Abisko Canyon.
- Aerial photography around Mount Njulla with instruction by Hans Strand
- Visit at Mount Njulla by cable car
- Hike through the birch forest and open-air lunch
- Sunrise photography around Abisko
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
You will learn how to approach the unique challenges of landscape photography and how to capture spaciousness, dynamic energy and the simplicity of natural landscape photography.
- Teaching and training in the best techniques and personal hints and advise.
- Composition and focus on lines, golden section, perspective, foreground.
- Work in different lighting and with short/long exposure times and aperture.
- How to handle equipment with care on location.
- Private hands-on lessons that can help taking your photography skills to the next level.
- Expert review and constructive criticism of the images taken during the day.
- Workflow in Photoshop and/or Light Room, and printing.
- Portfolio Review.
- A Better Moments Certified Photo Instructor is available during the entire workshop to offer assistance with camera settings, the basics of composition, guide and help in general.
Better Moments and Hans Strand invite you to participate in a unique photography workshop, which will take you to the very best and most beautiful locations by van, trekking and helicopter. Many of Hans’ pictures for his books and calendars have been photographed in Abisko National Park. “This is my back- yard”, says Hans Strand about Abisko.
DAY 1: ARRIVAL TO ABISKO
Better Moments staff will pick you up at the airport. Lunch in Kiruna and transport to Abisko for check-in at our hotel. Slideshow and presentation on Abisko, followed by a welcome dinner. After dinner we look out for aurora borealis, the Northern Light.
DAY 2: ABISKO
We leave after breakfast to explore the canyons and to shoot the limestone formations and river rapids in the upper section of Abisko Canyon. We will do evening shots of the mountain range, before dinner. After dinner we look out for aurora borealis, the Northern Light.
DAY 3: AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY OF MOUNT NJULLA
In the morning, cable car lift to the top of Mount Njulla. Hike down through the birch forest and open-air lunch. After lunch we will do aerial photography from helicopter, with personal in-air instruction by Hans strand. For the rest of the afternoon we will shoot in the lower section of Abisko Canyon.
3-course farewell dinner, followed by an evening seminar in the conference room.
DAY 4: SUNRISE SHOOTING AND DEPARTURE
We are up early to capture the sunrise in the amazing landscapes. After a morning with intense shooting we leave for the airport to catch our flights home.
INDIAN SUMMER AT THE POLAR CIRCLE
September 11 – 14, 2017
Discover the most magnificent photo opportunities as the leaves turn golden and Abisko presents itself from its most breath-taking side.
TRAVEL WITH THE BEST
Native Swede Hans Strand has travelled frequently to Abisko with his camera for many years. Hans was awarded the title of “Hasselblad Master Landscape Photographer” based on his landscape and aerial photographs of Iceland. In fact, Hans Strand is the first Scandinavian photographer who received this prestigious award.
Number of guests: 8-12
Local transport: 4×4
Exertion level: Moderate
Meals: All meals included
Type of photography: Landscape
Weather in September: Min 1°C , Max 10°C .
€1,995 per person in shared double room.
€2,295 per person in single room.
If you sign-up a group of 4+ participants you will receive a discount based on the size of your group.
Hotel accommodation and all meals.
Ground transport and helicopter flight.
Coaching, teaching, workshops and seminars with Hans Strand.
Transportation to/from Abisko, insurance and alcoholic beverages.
2013 ABISKO WORKSHOP
From left to right
Back row: Workshop teacher photographer Hans Strand, Christian Nørgaard – Better Moments, Gentsis Veniamin, Gentsis Alexander.
Front row: Marco Paoli, Dieter Hoffmann, Niklas Nikitin, Kees Van Straten, Terekhov Alexey, Terekhova Polina.