BETTER MOMENTS & PHASE ONE
BETTER MOMENTS & PHASE ONE EXPLORER is your gateway to working with top of the line equipment from Phase One, while also photographing one of the most spectacular natural phenomena: the northern lights.
We provide participants with FREE exclusive access to the power and versatility of the Phase One Premiere XF Camera System and Capture One software, as well as continuous support and training from both Phase One experts and award-winning Better Moments photographers.
This workshop offers you the opportunity to learn, discover and explore the dramatic landscapes of Finland together with passionate and like-minded enthusiasts, using the best photographic equipment on the market.
All our guests will receive – for free – exclusive Phase One equipment, software and training for use during this workshop, including:
- Premiere XF Camera System sent directly to your private address for training before the workshop
- One-to-one Master Class with a Phase One expert prior to departure and after ended workshop
- CaptureOne Software training and support before and during workshop
- Follow-up training and support from Phase One after completion of workshop.
PHOTOGRAPHY WITH PASSION
Journey to the edge of the Arctic Circle to immerse yourself in the wild and untamed landscape of Finland, exploring the unspoiled beauty of its endless pine forests and majestic fells. The five national parks surrounding Kuusamo offer an incredible selection of subjects for nature and landscape photography, including spectacular frozen waterfalls, enchanting snow-covered forests, and of course a chance to witness the awe-inspiring beauty of the northern lights.
- Capture one of nature’s most impressive displays of light and colour, the Northern Lights!
- Landscape photography in the mornings and evenings
- Workshops on techniques and shooting strategies for northern lights-, landscape- and intimate landscape photography
- Photograph the picturesque frozen waterfalls of Korouoma Nature Reserve.
- Join an exhilarating snow scooter ride to shoot pictures along the desolate Russian border.
- Enjoy traditional bonfire dinners and try an authentic Finnish smoke sauna.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
- The best techniques with personal hints and advices.
- Composition, focusing on lines, perspective and balance in the frame.
- Working with different angle lenses, exposure times and aperture.
- Photographing scenes in all light conditions. settings, the basics of composition, guide and help in general.
- Handling equipment with care on location.
- Expert review and constructive criticism of the images taken during the day.
- Portfolio review.
- Workflow in Lightroom.
- A Better Moments Certified Photo Instructor will be available during the entire workshop to offer assistance with camera settings, the basics of composition, guide and help in general.
DAY 1: ARRIVAL IN KUUSAMO
DAY 2: KONTTAINEN HILL AND KÄYLÄKOSKI
Today you will take in the incredible views from atop Konttainen Hill, giving you a panoramic perspective of the surrounding lakes and rivers. Afterwards we will continue to Kiveskoski and Käylänkoski, two of the most scenic stretches of the River Kitka, backdropped against the densely forested Russian border.
DAY 3: CHASING FROZEN WATERFALLS
Depart from Rukatunturi in the morning, towards Oivangin Lomakartano, where you will have lunch and participate in one-to-one workshops on location. The highlight of the day is the frozen waterfalls of Korouoma Nature Reserve. Along the trail you will have the chance to photograph 14 sparkling examples of nature’s artistry, offering ample opportunities to get the perfect shots of these icy marvels surrounded by snow-covered forest.
DAY 4: HUNTING THE NORTHERN LIGHTS
This morning will be spent with workshops, assessing shots taken so far, as well as some free time to explore the surrounding area and practice new techniques. After dinner at the lodge, congregate under the stars as we prepare to hunt for prize shots of the Aurora Borealis, or Northern Lights.
DAY 5: OULANKA NATIONAL PARK AND SAUNA EXPERIENCE
From Oivangin Lomakartano, we make our way to the Kiutaköngäs Rapids in the heart of Oulanka National Park. This dramatic collection of roaring waterfalls is renowned as one of the most impressive in Finland and makes for impressive photography from almost any angle. In the evening there will be the possibility of partaking in the full Finnish smoke sauna experience and dive into the ice cold waters afterwards (only for the really adventurous!)
DAY 6: BIG LANDSCAPES ON THE PIENI KARHUNKIERROS TRAIL
Today we will make our way along a famous hiking trail, creating dramatic compositions using the deep ravines of the Myllykoski and Jyrävä Rapids, the dense snow-topped vegetation and vastness of the surrounding landscape. Afterwards, enjoy a simple Finnish lunch as you warm yourself by a wood stove in a hut surrounded by the open wilderness.
DAY 7: SNOWMOBILE SAFARI
This morning’s workshop is all about the art of landscape photography using snowmobiles. Learn some useful tips and trips for handling equipment and getting the best shots, in preparation for the day ahead. After lunch, you will set out on an exciting snowmobile safari along the Russian border and across the otherworldly landscape of Kuntivaara, speeding among the snow-covered forest that resembles something from another planet. Weather permitting an atmospheric outdoor dinner will be served, taking full advantage of the impressive scenery. This remote location offers the ideal setting to capture the incredible night-time shots of starry skies and the Northern Lights at its most beautiful.
DAY 8: DEPARTURE
NORTHERN LIGHTS & ARTWORKS OF NATURE
9-16 marts, 2019
TOM D. JONES
TRAVEL WITH THE BEST
Tom D. Jones is famous for his fine art photography, from which he has received numerous awards, for example the European Fine Art Photographer Of The Year 2009. He’s part of the prestigious association Master Qualified European Photographer and in 2012 he distinguished himself with the well deserved Hasselblad Master Award 2012 in Landscape/Nature
A certified Better Moments photographer will be assisting Tom D. Jones on location.
Number of guests: 7-12
Local transport: 4×4
Exertion level: Moderate
Accommodation: Hotels with all facilities
Meals: All meals included
Type of photography: Landscape
Weather in March: Min -2°C , Max 2°C .
€ 5.235 shared double room.
€ 5.735 private single room.
If you sign up a group of 4+ participants you will receive a discount based on the size of your group.
Premiere XF Camera System sent directly to your private address for training before the workshop
One-to-one Master Class with a Phase One expert prior to departure and after ended workshop
CaptureOne Software training and support before and during workshop
Follow-up training and support from Phase One after completion of workshop.
Coaching, teaching, workshops, and seminars
Transportation to Kuusamo Airport, Travel insurance, alcoholic beverages.
Due to weather our program may change.
Better Moments will arrange one pickup transfer and one return transfer to the airport on the arrival- and the departure day.