"Nature is always true and never trivial.”
- Shooting the Aurora Borealis
- Aerial photography over lake Hvítarvatn and the unchartered river Fulákvisl
- Shooting the steep basalt cliffs of Arnarstapi shooting along of the beach of Djupalónsandur Beach with its black pebbles and cubistic basalt walls
- Brúarfoss, one of the most beautiful waterfalls in the world and many other amazing waterfalls
- Volcanic landscapes and a unique oasis
- Shoot between continental plates and see the clearest water on earth.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
Learn about how to approach the unique challenges of landscape photography and how to capture spaciousness, dynamic energy and the simplicity of natural landscape photography.
- Teaching and training in the best techniques and personal hints and advise.
- Composition and focus on lines, golden section, perspective, foreground, middleground and background.
- Work in different lighting and with short/long exposure times and aperture.
- How to handle equipment with care on location.
- Private hands-on lessons that can help taking your photography skills to the next level.
- Expert review and constructive criticism of the images taken during the day.
- Workflow in Photoshop and/or Light Room, and printing.
- Portfolio Review.
- A Better Moments Certified Photo Instructor is available during the entire workshop to offer assistance with camera settings, the basics of composition, guide and help in general.
Day 1: ARRIVAL IN ICELAND
Better Moments will meet you in Reykjavik at our hotel for dinner and present a detailed briefing on the coming week and workshop.
DAY 2: SNAEFELLSNES, BASALT CLIFFS AND BLACK PEBBLES
Departure for Snaefellsnes. Stay at our hotel on “the cliffs” overlooking the Northern Atlantic. Shooting the steep basalt cliffs of Arnarstapi and the motion of the sea. Just a few kilometers north are the huge sea stacks and lava formation of Lóndrangar. We’ll also be shooting along of the beach of Djupalónsandur Beach with its black pebbles and cubistic basalt walls.
DAY 3: GLACIER TRIP AND AURORA BOREALIS
A full day trip to the snow cap of Snaefellsjökull reaching 1446 m. Later we’ll have a evening session of the mesmerizing aurora borealis at Kirkjufell on the north side of Snaefellsnes.
DAY 4: MAGICAL BRÚARFOSS AND MAJESTIC GULLFOSS
Departure from Snaefellsnes. A full day shooting waterfalls. First stop at the complex system of waterfalls at Hraunfossar. Where the water is coming straight out of lava field and enters a 1 km long canyon. Next stop is at Brúarfoss, one of the most beautiful waterfalls in the world. In the evening shoot aurora borealis at the gigantic waterfall Gullfoss. We stay at our hotel nearby Gullfoss.
DAY 5: AERIAL PHOTOGRAPHY AND AURORA BOREALIS
This is our aerial photography day where we’ll be shooting over the mystical river Fulákvisl and lake Hvítarvatn. In the evening we’ll admire and shoot aurora borealis over Gullfoss.
DAY 6: VOLCANIC LANDSCAPES AND UNIQUE OASIS
We will go into the fantastic volcanic landscape of Kerlingarfjöll with its memorable waterfalls and to Ásgarðsá river canyon with rolling hills of rhyolite. In the evening we scout for the aurora borealis at the unique oasis in the highlands, the hot spring area of Hveravellir.
DAY 7: BETWEEN CONTINENTAL PLATES AND CLEAREST WATER ON EARTH
In the evening we arrive at our hotel in Reykjavik. But first we stop at Thingvellir to Shoot of the crack between the North-American and the European continental plates and the volcanic landscape. We’ll also shoot at the crystal clear waters of Silfrá. This dreamlike water area with its 200m visibility, has some of the clearest water on earth.
DAY 8: DEPARTURE
Departure after checkout.
THE BEAUTY OF AURORA BOREALIS
September 29 – October 6, 2018
Encounter the natural wonder of aurora borealis on one of the world’s most magical islands, together with Iceland veteran and Hasselblad Master Hans Strand.
TRAVEL WITH THE BEST
Hans Strand has traveled frequently to Iceland with his camera for the past 12 years. Hans was awarded the title of “Hasselblad Master Landscape Photographer” based on his landscape and aerial photographs of Iceland. In fact, Hans Strand is the first Scandinavian photographer to receive this prestigious award.
Number of guests: 8-12
Local transport: 4X4, helicopter
Exertion level: Easy
Meals: All meals included
Type of photography: Landscape
Weather in October: -3°C – -7°C
€5,695 per person in shared double room.
€6,195 per person in single room.
If you sign up a group of 4+ participants, you will receive a discount based on the size of your group.
Hotel accommodation with private bath and toilet
All meals and non-alcoholic beverages
Ground transport and aerial photography with helicopter
Coaching, teaching, workshops and seminars with Hans Strand
Transport to/from Reykjavik, Iceland
Icebergs and volcanos
The trip was very well arranged – the helicopter flight and boat trip were timed with regard to the optimal conditions for the weather and light. The hotel was in the best location for the icefjord – it was a 30 minute hike over small snow covered hills to an amazing viewpoint with a 270 degree panoramic view over 800 foot high icebergs. Better Moments has enabled me to visit locations I would have never dreamed of visiting by myself. And Hans worked with us individually on the workshop to help develop our personal style of photography. Hans was able to use his experience to show us how to make the best out of the conditions and locations.
Ross Brown, from England participated in Iceland and Greenland.