TOM D JONES
Hasselblad Master Landscape Award 2012
"We should use energy sources provided by Mother Nature, instead of resorting to the ones that will destroy her."
THE HASSELBLAD EXPERIENCE
- A Hasselblad camera system to use during the workshop
- A complete range of additional lenses to use for any photographic situation
- Access to the latest accessories
- Presentations on Hasselblad Phocus software
- Inspiration from the best Hasselblad experts in their fields
- A prestigious Better Moments & Hasselblad Experience Diploma
The Isle of Skye is probably one of the most iconic locations for great landscape photography. Moody mountain peaks, roaring waterfalls, dramatic coastlines, unique volcanic rock formations, natural woodland, beaches, lighthouses, and ancient castles.
It’s a place of extremes – from the craggy outline of the Cuillin that dominate the landscape to the sheer cliffs and imposing headlands that descend down to peaceful bays and beaches. Its changing weather patterns create wonderfully atmospheric lighting conditions for photography and, given the right weather conditions, Skye can be an ideal location for glorious sunrises and sunsets.
- Shoot Glenfinnan Viaduct, the famous “Harry Potter bridge”.
- Shoot amazing sunsets at the Quiraing.
- Shoot at the remote and serene lighthouse at Neist Point, with the opportunity to see whales, dolphins, porpoises and basking sharks.
- Boat trip in Loch Coruisk.
- Lecture on “How to become Hasselblad Master in Landscape photography”.
- The Fairy Pools in Glen Brittle.
- The Sligachan stone bridge and the Eilean Donan Castle.
WHAT YOU WILL LEARN
You will learn how to approach the unique challenges of landscape photography. Tom D. Jones will use his experience from his many years of professional work to help you maximize your photographic opportunities with landscape photography.
- Teaching and training in the best techniques and personal hints and advice.
- Composition and focus on lines, golden section, perspective, foreground, middleground and background.
- Work in different lighting and with short/long exposure times and apertures.
- How to handle equipment with care on location.
- Private hands-on lessons that can help take your photography skills to the next level.
- Expert review and constructive criticism of the images taken during the day.
- Workflow in Photoshop and/or Light Room, and printing.
- Portfolio Review.
- A Better Moments Certified Photo Instructor is available during the entire workshop to offer assistance with camera settings, the basics of composition, and to generally guide and help.
Day 1: ARRIVAL
Arrival and meet-up in Edinburgh. The city is divided in two parts with the old and the new. The new part has diverse and exciting shopping possibilities and the old part is a wonderful and historic area with many museums.
Day 2: GLEN COE AND GLENFINNAN VIADUCT
We drive from Edinburgh to Skye. On our way we’ll see the amazing Glen Coe pass, stopping at the famous Three Sisters continuing to Mallaig, where we take the ferry to Skye. We will also stop to shoot Glenfinnan Viaduct, the famous “Harry Potter bridge”. In the evening we arrive at the Cuillin Hills Hotel and its wonderful restaurant with panoramic views over the harbor and Cuilin Hills.
Day 3: THE QUIRAING AND SUNSET SESSIONS
The morning begins with a hike to The Old Man of Storr. After lunch we continue to The Quiraing, with wonderful panoramic views over Trotternish. The Quiraing is a fascinating rugged landscape on the Trotternish Peninsula with views east across to the mainland and the iconic Old Man of Storr. We will work a full day in the hills until the last light of day and make sure to be at the best locations at sunset – thus you get a soft light to work with, as well as massive cloud formations over the hills. After dinner we will work on photos from the day and Tom will guide and advise in Light room and Photoshop.
Day 4: COASTLINE PHOTOGRAPHY AND BECOMING A HASSELBLAD MASTER
We’ll be doing coastline photography and a boat trip from Elgol to ‘Loch Coruisk’ in the heart of the Cuillin Hills, where we’ll be dropped off to work around the lake. During the boat trip we will spot a seal colony on the small isles in front of the Cuillin Hills.
In the evening after dinner, we’ll have a lecture on “How to become Hasselblad Master in landscape photography”.
Day 5: THE FAIRY POOLS AND NEIST POINT
The Fairy Pools in Glen Brittle. A location dominated by the Cuillin Hills. The water running off the hills flows down into the glen via a series of picturesque rocky waterfalls. After lunch we continue to Neist point. The beautiful lighthouse, which is located at the most western point on the Duirinish Peninsula, is astonishing with the dramatic and extremely photogenic cliffs surrounding the lighthouse. The location also offers the opportunity to see whales, dolphins, porpoises and basking sharks – if we are lucky.
After dinner, objective criticism by Tom on today’s pictures, and advice about how to optimize your photographic skills.
Day 6: DELVING INTO THE LANDSCAPE
Due to the unpredictability of Scottish weather, we have put in an extra day here which will allow you to explore more of your favorite locations on Skye – either to do reshoots or discover new possibilities.
Day 7: A PERFECT CLOSURE
On our way back to Edinburgh we’ll shoot over the Sligachan stone bridge crossing the river which carries the water down from the Cuillin. The bridge is a magnificent sight, surrounded by the hills. Afterwards we stop by Eilean Donan Castle. One of the most photographed Scottish Castles. A real “Braveheart” feeling and a perfect closure for this Scottish Highland adventure. In the evening we arrive in Edinburgh for a farewell dinner – with real malt whisky!
Day 8: DEPARTURE
After breakfast we depart for our home destinations.
INTO THIN AIR
October 14 – October 21, 2017
Travel to one of the most iconic locations for landscape photography with Hasselblad Master Tom D. Jones.
TOM D. JONES
TRAVEL WITH THE BEST
Tom D. Jones is our Scotland expert. He is famous for his fine art photography, from which he has received numerous awards, for example the European Fine Art Photographer Of The Year 2009. He’s part of the prestigious association Master Qualified European Photographer and in 2012 he distinguished himself with the well deserved Hasselblad Master Award 2012 in Landscape/Nature
A certified Better Moments photographer will be assisting Tom D. Jones on location.
Number of guests: 12
Local transport: Private bus and boat
Exertion level: Medium
Meals: All meals included
Type of photography: Landscape
€ 4650 per person in shared double room.
€ 4.950 per person in single room
If you sign-up a group of 4+ participants you will receive a discount based on the size of your group.
Flight to and from Edinburgh Airport. Alcoholic beverages